Saturday, May 8, 2010

Claude and Camille by Stephanie Cowell

The story of Claude Monet and the love of his life Camille Doncieux. Camille comes from a high class family and is already engaged, but she and Monet are drawn together over the time Monet spends painting her. She leaves her fiance for him, and they try to build a life together, but getting his art recognized in Paris is more trouble than he thought it would be. Monet and his artist friends, which include Renoir and Manet, put themselves and their livelihoods on the line for the sake of their art. Constantly moving to escape their debts, and owing large sums of money where ever they go, Claude and Camille push their way through, even though it is not an easy road. For Camille has secrets of her own, and them coming to light will change everything Monet thought he knew.

Not usually the kind of book I would read but I really enjoyed it. Artistic without being hard to understand. Nice look into the life of Monet and his struggle to become famous. Definitely not the life I myself could ever lead, no matter how passionate I was about it. If you are looking for a beautiful book to lose yourself in, this is the way to go. Will be reading more by this author.

4 stars

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really loved this book. I gave it to my sister. My mom and other 2 sisters are waiting for their turns.

Thank you so much for the oppportunity to get this book

Cathie said...

This was a great book, I will be passing it onto family members that also want to read it.
Thank you.

diamondgirl said...

I am glad you both enjoyed it. I hope your families like it as well.