Friday, July 11, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Ok so I finished it.....and hated it. It made me laugh in parts, but I still hated it. I am agnostic, as I may have already posted, and was way too religious for me. I was tired of her whining by page 50. I have gone through the depression/suicidal thing myself, and not everyone goes to Rome, India and Indonesia to "help themselves". This made me want to write a realistic book for people going through it because this was so absolutely ridiculous.1 out 5 stars because I laughed twice.

3 comments:

Becky LeJeune said...

I find this so amusing! The girls from my publishing course all complained about how whiny the author is and another friend has been struggling to get through this book forever.

Eliezer Sobel said...

Hmmm, if you can forgive the self-promotion, you might prefer my male version of Eat, Pray, Love, in which I don't eat much and don't fall in love. I do pray a bit here and there, but in the end I utterly fail to get enlightened despite over 30 years of trying.

At least glance at the Prologue here and see if it grabs you: http://www.the99thmonkey.com

Thanks!
Eliezer Sobel, author of
The 99th Monkey: A Spiritual Journalist's Misadventures with Gurus, Messiahs, Sex,
Psychedelics, and Other Consciousness-Raising
Experiments

diamondgirl said...

I will be checking it out thanks for the link