Monday, March 8, 2010

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Richard Mayhew has a pretty ordinary life. Works as an accountant, is engaged to be married, and lives his new life in London after moving from Scotland to take a job offer. All of that is turned inside out when he is walking with his fiance to have dinner with her important boss and an injured girls appears out of nowhere in the street in front of him. Against his fiance's wishes he takes the girl, Door, to his apartment to care for her. She insists on him not calling for an ambulance or police and asks him do do her a favor. Richard sets across London with her directions in hand to find the marquis de Carabas. After she leaves he tries to resume his old life but finds that he can't. No one can see him, seriously. The only people who can are the homeless of London. He then sets off on a journey to find Door to try and get his life back. This trip takes him through London Underground, where the people who have fallen through the cracks live. It is an adventure like no other, nothing Richard can quite believe, but then he has no choice if he wants his old life back.
Very....interesting. This is my first Gaiman book. It was kind of bizarre, but had a lot of colorful characters (Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar, Islington, the marquis, Hunter, Old Bailey, etc). Even though it was so incredibly strange, after awhile I didn't even stop to think to myself "this is ridiculous". It drew me in and I just accepted everything I was reading. I hated some characters, and loved others. I would really like to see a sequel to this, or a story about Islington and what happened to the city of Atlantis. I will be reading more by Mr. Gaiman. It's kind of fun to lose yourself in a bizarre world sometimes.

5 stars

No comments: