Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hide by Lisa Gardner

Annabelle Granger has spent her life on the run. Beginning when she was a child her family has packed up and moved to a different place every year or so, adopting new names and a new city. She never knew why they were running, or who they were running from, but now at the age of 32 and with both parents dead, it is about to become a little too clear.
Homicide detective Bobby Dodge gets a phone call from his former officer and lover, D.D. Warren to come to the grounds of the abandoned State Mental Hospital, where a mass grave has just been discovered. In the grave is the mummified remains of 6 female children. It bears a striking resemblance to a case that changed Bobby's life before, nearly killing him. However the perpetrator of that case was murdered by his victim. Is this a copy cat, or is something more sinister at play?
Great mystery, when it all came together I was a little confused, but Gardner spends the final chapter explaining everything. I really enjoyed this one. I have tried a few other of her books and they were hit or miss for me, glad this one was a hit. It will keep you up reading late into the night.
SPOILER

I was so upset when her dog got stabbed I almost quit reading even though the book was almost over. I hate it when authors hurt animals. I tried to start Gardner's The Next Accident last night, but the dream Rannie had about the baby elephant almost had me in tears! Glad the dog in Hide lived, but that's why it only got 4 stars. Unnecessary.

4 stars

No comments: